Sunday, September 25, 2011

Vector Illustration



To the left is my vector illustration and, to me, it represents the word "solace". This sock monkey was a gift from my boyfriend who lives in Virginia. Because we are in a long distance relationship, I use this stuffed animal to provide comfort when he is far away (which is most of the time). His name is Wenceslas, named after a famous square in Prague, Czech Republic (where I met my boyfriend). 


I decided to keep the colors as accurate as possible because the object in the illustration, Wenceslas, is what holds the significance. I thought altering the colors drastically would detract from the identity of the object. The most difficult aspects of the illustration are: the red fringe on the hat; the blanket; the wrinkles of the pillow. With the tools I have learned on illustrator, I tried to be as detailed as I could be. My one regret was not being able to portray the specific texture of Wenceslas' body. However, I am proud of the shading on his torso and the wrinkles on the striped pillow. I don't think the illustration looks exactly like the picture, but I can surely see the similarities. I took the artistic liberty of dulling down some of the shading of the photograph. I also used slightly different shades of white to denote Wenceslas' hands and hat versus the pillow he is laying on. I found this to be an important distinction in order to give the illustration more of a 3-dimensional feel. All in all, I am proud of my illustration and, I feel that I illustrated as much detail as possible with the skills I have acquired. 











No comments:

Post a Comment